Are you confused about making a reservation in Indian Railways reservation for train travel in India?
Indian Railways needs reservations on all classes of travel apart from general class. There are a few ways you can follow to make a reservation – online, or by a mobile app or in person at a travel agency or either Indian Railways booking counter.
Online train ticket booking are usually carried out via the IRCTC Online Passenger Reservation website.
On the other hand, travel portals such as Cleartrip.com, Makemytrip.com and Yatra.com now offer online train reservations. Moreover, there are mobile apps like Paytm which allows a user to book a ticket very conveniently. These websites& mobile apps are much more user-friendly and easy to operate.
This step by step guide will help you through the reservation process using Indian Railways facilities.
If you intend to book a seat in Indian railways online or by mobile app and haven’t already registered, firstly go to the IRCTC website and register:
For Reservations over the Counter
If you’re intended to book the ticket over the counter, print out the reservation form or you can get it at railway reservation counter. Fill the form with all necessary details and take it to a reservation office. If you’re a foreign tourist, try to go to one of the International Tourist Bureaus in major cities. These bureaus are much more efficient and customer friendly or either you can book a ticket online or by using a mobile app.
What You Need to book a ticket online or by a mobile app:
- Details of train name and number, boarding and departure points, and class of travel.
- Aadhar, Passport or other suitable identification. (optional but you need to carry it while travelling)
- Credit or debit card (for online or mobile app bookings)
For online train ticket booking through IRCTC website.
- You need to log on to the IRCTC website. If you don’t have an IRCTC username & password then you should first register on the website. If you already have the details of the train and you’re an Indian resident, click on the “Quick Book” tab on the top left side of the screen, next to “Plan My Journey”.
- Fill the electronic reservation form and then scroll down to the “Payment Option” section at the bottom of the page.
- Choose yourmode of payment and click on “Make Payment”. If paying by international credit or debit card, select the ‘International cards power by Atom’ option under ‘Payment Gateway/Credit Card’. Your transaction will be processed and you’ll be provided with a reservation confirmation. Print this out and carry it with you when you travel.
How to reserve train ticket using a mobile app
- Login to the apps like Paytm or & Select Train from the drop-down list.
- Select From and To stations.
- Select Departure Date.
- Click on Search Trains & you will have your results as per the Train running schedule by IRCTC.
- Select the Train from the list and make the selection as per Seat availability and requirement.
- Proceed to the booking & choose your date for travel.
- Enter IRCTC ID and click on proceed
- Choose boarding point, add passenger details and choose preferences (if required).
- Click on “Proceed to Book”. Review the itinerary. If you have any promo code, enter it now and click Proceed to Pay.
You can easily pay through Paytm in IRCTC site once you’ve logged in on the IRCTC website, you can now pay thereby using your e-Wallet. The Paytm Wallet option is visible under cash card/wallet option once you buy your train ticket.